Monday, March 23, 2009

Reading and films

So what have I been reading lately? My book club has read Helen Garner's "The Spare Room" a somewhat harrowing read. The protagonaist shares her house with a friend dying of cancer for three weeks. This promoted a lot of discussion about caring for others and whether the protagonist in the book was selfish or not. You find out lots about your friends experiences through reading books like this.
Another book to promote lots of discussion will be this months "Infidel" by Aayan Hirsi Ali. Another topical book discussing her transition as a migrant woman from Africa to a political life in Holland, with serious discussion of her experiences growing up in war torn countries and the role of Islam in her life.
After viewing the film "Slumdog Millionaire" which made me close my eyes at times due to the violence, I am just starting the book "Q and A" by Vikas Swarup on which the film is based. I am told there is much more violence in the book. All I have ever won from "Who wants to be a millionaire" game is a flight to NZ.
So to round off the last month of reading on a lighter note. Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" was very similar to the Da Vinci Code so I expect the new film to follow suit. I don't think I will be seeing it but the book was a good bedtime read for a few nights. I wonder what others are reading now that the days are shortening and the cooler months approach. Or perhaps not reading like my colleague taking three months off to travel through Asia.

1 comment:

  1. If you like Tolkien and Ursula Le Guin, could I suggest another fantasy allegory title to try? "Outcasts Of Skagaray" can be previewed by reading the sample chapters on www.threeswans.com.au If you read it I would be glad to know what you think. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment. I appreciate you taking time to read and reflect on my blog.
Greenstone Girl